What would you call Republicans who are fiscally conservative, socially tolerant, pro-civil-rights and pragmatic problem-solvers? Political scientist Geoffrey Kabaservice calls them extinct. Public opinion expert Erica Seifert says it should be good news for Democrats that, in her words, “The Republic Party is not a rational party anymore.” And, regular commentator Fred Rotondaro looks ahead into 2014 and says Obamacare will eventually be a big plus for Democrats … and that Hillary Clinton will come under pressure from the left.
- Jan. 5, 2014 Political analysis galore this first week of 2014. Authors Geoffrey Kabaservice and Erica Seifert pronounce the GOP in trouble, and commentator Fred Rotondaro predicts a rosy future for Democrats this year.
- Geoffrey Kabaservice Professor Geoffrey Kabaservice is an expert on the once vibrant moderate sector of the Republican Party. It is now extinct, he says, and the radical right wing risks losing elections as the price of ideological purity.
- Erica Seifert Public opinion expert Erica Seifert says the takeover of the GOP by its Tea Party wing could be good news for Democrats because it shows the Republican Party is no longer rational.
- Fred Rotondaro Fred Rotondaro of the Center for American Progress and a regular contributor to this netcast predicts 2014 will be a good year for the Democrats, especially as people realize the benefits of Obamacare.
- Jim Hightower Bastrop's new war toy.