Michael Linden, the managing director for economic policy at the Center for American Progress, argues that focusing on the deficit hurts economic growth. Centrist Democrat Elaine Kamarck applies old lessons from her party to the current Republican Party; namely, party unity gets in the way of figuring out the best policies for winning moderate voters. And Bill Press talks with Congresswoman Colleen Hanabusa of Hawaii about the GOP shutdown.
- Oct. 6, 2013 Budget expert Michael Linden asks whether Congress can walk and chew gum at the same time. Analyst Elaine Kamarack on the Democrats' lock on the electoral college. And Rep. Colleen Hanabusa talks with Bill Press about the GOP shutdown.
- Michael Linden Progressive budget expert Michael Linden tells us something obvious – that Congress can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. He urges lawmakers to stop letting budget issues get in the way of programs that would help the economy.
- Elaine Kamarck Centrist Democratic political analyst Elaine Kamarck says Democrats may have an electoral lock on the presidency, and she thanks a Republican -- former California Governor Pete Wilson -- for that.
- Colleen Hanabusa Bill Press and his guest, Representative Colleen Hanabusa of Hawaii, discuss the GOP shutdown.
- Jim Hightower Getting ahead on the backs of others.